Where are the fashion designers in the house? I’m sure you’ve probably seen the Taffeta material and have been at your fingertips most of your time.
Taffeta is the ultimate fabric for special occasions, forming iconic ball gowns and evening wear used frequently by iconic designers.
But there are more about this unique piece in the fashion industry such as meaning, types, history and so fought.
Just stick with this post to know more than you can imagine.
Short History And Meaning Taffeta Material
Taffeta is a crisp, lightweight fabric that is commonly used to make a variety of types of high-end women’s apparel.
This plain-woven fabric is smooth to the touch, and it can be made from a variety of different materials.
Taffeta is a high-end fabric mostly used for making luxurious evening gowns, corsets, jackets, skirts, blouses, coats, interior decorations, and curtains.
The word “taffeta” is derived from tafta, which means “twisted woven” in Persian.
While it’s true that taffeta fabric is made by twisting yarn as it is woven, many other fabrics are also made with this method, which means that the starched and shape-retaining qualities of taffeta are more representative of its unique attributes than its name.
Traditionally, taffeta material was made from silk, but with the advent of synthetic fibers in the 20th century, textile manufacturers started making this fabric from materials like rayon and polyester.
While it’s still possible to find silk taffeta fabric, it’s much more common to find versions of this fabric that are made from polyester.
Related Post: The Lining Material For Clothing
The Types Of Taffeta Fabrics
Knowing it was derived from a Persian word, which means ‘twisted woven’, taffeta is also a tightly woven fabric consisting of high-twist yarn.
It has various kinds and types from opaque to sheer, from glossy to matt. Silk taffeta can be yarn-dyed and piece-dyed. Yarn-dyed taffeta is the stiffer of the two and is used for special occasion clothing.
The piece-dyed taffeta is softer, it is used in linings. Some taffeta fabrics are extremely lightweight (45 g/m²), some are medium-weight (150 g/m²). But they all are beautiful and slippery smooth.
The most famous kinds of taffeta are:
- Paper Taffeta: It got its name for very thin nature, crisp paper-like finish and a light weight.
- Taffeta Lamé: The fabric is mostly characterized by a subtle metallic sheen. Lame fabrics make perfect folds and pleats and are most suitable for creating sculptured shapes.
- Ombré Silk Taffeta: This kind of taffeta fabric is designed with an ombre effect, with colors flowing from one to another. Ombre fabrics are best suited for floor-length skirts and maxi dresses since you can enjoy the change of color.
- Fil Coupé Taffeta: It often has a jacquard design and shiny yarn blended into the weave. Metallic fil coupe lends the fabric a hypnotizing lustre. Style this kind of silky smooth taffeta into one of those mind-blowing dresses, often seen on fashion catwalks.
- Double Faced Taffeta: This kind looks amazing sewn into a funky two-colored piece of clothing.
- Moiré Taffeta: It has a wavy, watermark pattern. This effect may result from the weave or the pattern. The signature look of ‘watered silk’ can also be caused by running the fabric through engraved copper rollers.
- Faille Taffeta: It is woven mostly with staple natural fibers in a rib weave.
- Stretch Silk Taffeta: This kind has a touch of elastane blended into the weave, which ensures a perfect fit for a comfortable wear. Use it for fitted and semi-fitted styles.
- Shot Silk Taffeta also known as ‘Changeant’ or ‘Changeable Taffeta’. This fabric boasts an iridescent gleam due to the warp and weft that come in different colors.
Shot silk taffeta was popular with the noblemen in the 18-th and 19-th century. It is a great choice for special occasion wear, full skirts, trench coats and jackets.
- Embroidered Taffeta: This exquisite taffeta is delicately embroidered with soutache cord, sequins, beads and whatever a producer fancies to use.
A leap of imagination, this fabric might be more expensive but is definitely worth it.
Read Also: What Is Cashmere Fabric
Summary On The Taffeta Material
The fabric is reputed for its excellent quality which makes it ideal for making elegant attires.
It is also widely used in making wedding gowns, prom dresses, and other parties wear costumes.
The good quality of the fabric is an important factor when deciding what clothes to wear.
What did you have to say about the taffeta material? Let’s have your comment in the box below, and don’t forget to like and share with friends
Even More Topics: